Accident at work solicitors

If you have had an accident at work, our solicitors may be able to help you claim compensation for your injuries and financial losses, such as loss of earnings.

When an accident is due to the negligence of your employer or a colleague, you can claim against employers’ liability insurance. We work for our clients on a No Win, No Fee basis in most cases.

What should you do if you have an accident at work?

The first step is to report the accident to your employer, who should make sure you receive immediate medical attention. They should then record the details of your accident.

Accident book

Your employer should record your injury in an accident book. This should include the date, time and location of the accident.

Your employer also needs to record the details, such as the type of injury sustained and the circumstances of the accident. They need to explain how the injury happened and what actions they took to help you after the accident. If photographs were taken at the scene or if there is CCTV footage this evidence should be referenced.

The details recorded in an accident book can help support your workplace injury claim.


Where a serious injury has occurred that results in death, amputation, sight damage, large bone fractures, brain damage, organ damage or serious burns your employer must report the incident to RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations). In addition, they must report illnesses caused by work such as carpel tunnel syndrome and occupational asthma.

If you cannot work for at least seven days due to your accident, this must also be reported to RIDDOR. 

Other records of your accident

It is helpful if you can:

  • Take photographs of your injury and the scene of your accident.
  • Note down the contact details of any witnesses to your accident.
  • Make notes about the accident as soon as you can, including drawings if they are helpful.
  • Write down the observations of any witnesses.

This evidence will also support your work accident claim.

See a doctor

It is important to make an appointment to see a doctor straight away. As well as making sure your injury is properly treated their medical notes can support your claim for compensation.

What happens if you cannot work as a result of your injury?

If you cannot work you may still receive your income or may only be entitled to payment of sick pay or other benefits while you are off work.

Most of the time the only way to recover lost income is to claim compensation. Understandably many people are worried about making a claim against their employer. However, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement for most types of businesses and this policy covers compensation claims.

What are the most common workplace injuries?

The most common non-fatal incidents reported to RIDDOR in 2019-20 were slip, trip and fall accidents (29%), followed by handling, lifting or carrying (19%), struck by a moving object (11%), acts of violence (9%) and falls from a height (8%).

According to HSE (Health and Safety Executive) a third of injuries in the workplace are caused by manual handling. Manual handling is work that involves lifting, lowering, pushing, pulling or carrying loads.

Hazardous manual handling tasks should be avoided altogether where possible.

Have a question or need some help?

How much compensation can you claim for a work accident?

Personal injury compensation has two parts: general damages and special damages.

General damages seek to compensate for the loss to the quality of your life caused by your physical and mental suffering. It is the extent to which you are unable to enjoy the same day-to-day activities and lifestyle as before the accident.

Special damages are compensation you receive for financial losses you have suffered because of your injury. This includes loss of earnings now and in the future and the cost of medical care and home adaptations.

How much compensation you receive is unique to your circumstances and there is considerable variation.

What is ‘No win, No fee’?

We offer a No Win, No Fee service for workplace compensation claims. This means you do not pay any legal fees unless your claim is successful. There is no financial risk to you if you decide to go ahead with a work accident claim.

Have a question or need some help?

Contact our expert team today and receive your free initial assessment

Talk to our accident at work solicitors

Our solicitors have a proven track record in winning compensation for people who have suffered an accident at work.

We consistently provide high-quality legal advice on a No Win, No Fee basis. Before going forward with your case, we will gather as much evidence as possible by talking to witnesses and exploring all the avenues.

You will receive the direct contact details of your lawyer, so you can get in touch quickly whenever you need to. We promise a same-day response whenever possible.

  • Results

    We believe that we are the best, industry leaders and market innovators. We have your back, whether you are moving into your dream home or needing a complex family divorce.
  • Where and when you need us

    Local offices and dedicated people who are accessible, friendly and here to help.
  • Experts in what we do

    We have the best people to help you, high skilled and vastly experienced. We’ll provide you with clear advice, not just options so that you can see a clear way forward.
  • Accreditations

    We have several accreditations that ensure the legal advice we provide is of the highest standards.

Get your FREE Initial
Assessment now

Fill in the form with your details and a bit about your current situation and a member of our team will be in touch to offer you a FREE initial assessment.

Please let us know you are not a robot